Finding the inner strength
What are the top traits you think of for small business owners? You might think of leadership, an independent mindset or a hunger for success. These certainly are all traits of great entrepreneurs and leaders, but where do all those traits come from? The answer is inner strength.
Inner strength is a deep, unstoppable belief in yourself. It doesn’t depend on the actions of anyone else, and it doesn’t depend on your circumstances.
Finding inner strength is a must for any great entrepreneur. It will give you the ability to overcome obstacles and bounce back from failures – because failures are inevitable. Tony has said, “I don’t know anybody who’s been successful in life and business who hasn’t been devastated multiple times. The only difference is they get back up immediately.” That resilience comes from inner strength.
Ready to take your business to the next level?Download the 7 forces of Business Mastery
The importance of inner strength
Walt Disney was fired from his first job. J.K. Rowling was divorced and nearly homeless when she started writing Harry Potter. Bill Gates was a college dropout and owned several failed businesses. NFL star quarterback Nick Foles discussed his failures – and how he found his inner strength – on a recent Tony Robbins podcast. Certainly none of these achievers would have become so extraordinary without the ability to find their inner strength.
But inner strength has even greater benefits than helping you achieve your entrepreneurial dreams. It gives you a sense of peace and meaning. It is a well of energy you can draw from to keep you going through the toughest of times.
People with inner strength forgive easily, because they know that they can only control their own actions and that their happiness is not dependent on others. They know the power of positive thinking to take control of their state and transform their mindset. In fact, one of Tony’s favorite inner strength quotes is, “The power of positive thinking is the ability to generate a feeling of certainty in yourself when nothing in the environment supports you.”
At one Date With Destiny event, a young woman named Dawn epitomized this idea. Dawn escaped a cult at the age of 13, driven only by her deep belief that there was something more to life. As an adult, she made a choice: she took back her power, changed her story and found her purpose as a therapist helping others. Dawn’s story is powerful – but you don’t have to experience tragedy or hit personal rock bottom to find your inner strength.
Finding inner strength
There are real strategies you can incorporate into your everyday life that will cultivate your inner strength and help you unleash your power.
1. Use empowering rituals. Incorporate the power of priming into your morning rituals. This dynamic technique helps you adjust your mindset and set the tone for your day. Other rituals include incantations and goal visualization.
2. Understand that your choices define your life. You don’t have to let your circumstances define you. Those with inner strength face tough decisions head on and use them to become stronger.
3. Raise your standards. It sounds simple, and it is. As Tony says, “If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten.” Expect more, and you will get more.
4. Discover your purpose. Purpose is a component of inner strength. When you find your purpose, inner strength naturally follows.
5. Turn your “shoulds” into “musts.” A must is something that you simply cannot live without doing. And when it comes to living the life of your dreams, every single step you need to take to get there is a “must.”
6. Let go of the past. Stop feeding yourself disempowering stories of past mistakes and failures. Change the script in your mind and only allow positive thoughts.
7. Focus. This might be the most important of all. “Where focus goes, energy flows,” says Tony, and if you put your focus on your future goals, the sky is the limit.
Inner strength quotes
Need some motivation? These inner strength quotes from Tony and his friends will inspire you to realize your full potential.
“The secret of success is learning how to use pain and pleasure instead of having pain and pleasure use you. If you do that, you’re in control of your life. If you don’t, life controls you.” – Tony Robbins
“Failure is a part of life. It’s a part of building character and growing. Without failure, who would you be?” – Nick Foles
“The ultimate breakthrough happens by conditioning your mind every single day.” – Tony Robbins
“If you’re saying you can’t do something, why are you here? You’ve already made the decision in your mind that you can’t do it.” – Michael Phelps
“The greatest moments in my life have all come after the greatest challenges.” – Shaun White
“I believed in my potential. I believed I deserved it, and I used the mantra, ‘Why not me?.’” – Ellen Latham, Orangetheory Fitness
Finding inner strength isn’t always easy, and it’s OK to have a bad day once in a while. We are all human, and life sometimes throws curve balls we aren’t expecting. It’s important to remember that “Life is not happening to you, it’s happening for you,” as Tony says. When you discover the purpose in all of life’s challenges, you’ll find true inner strength. And then, there is nothing you can’t do.
Ready to take your business to unreached levels?
Learn how to find your inner strength with Tony Robbins’ 7 Forces of Business Mastery free content series.