Learn how goal setting can help you create a compelling future
What you will get from this article:
- Learn why goal setting is important
- Understand what makes a compelling goal
- Discover the 5 principles of SMART goals
- Access a brief goal-setting workshop that Tony Robbins himself uses
Do you know how to set goals? How often do you achieve the large objectives that are really important to you? If you’re having trouble following through with your goal planning, you may be tempted to just stop trying. People say things like, “Maybe this is just it,” or “I should settle for what I have.”
But frequently what’s getting in the way of achievement is the actual goal. If your goal is to “lose weight,” how will you know when that goal is complete? When you’ve lost one pound? Five? Forty?
Without a clear target, you’ll never hit your mark. That’s why it’s crucial to learn how to set goals that are clear, measurable and actionable.
Ready to start living the life you've always imagined?Take The Driving Force Quiz
What is goal setting?
Goal setting can look very different depending on an individual’s lifestyle, values and definition of success. Your goals are unique to you and don’t need to look like anyone else’s.
The classic goal setting definition boils down to the process of identifying something you want to accomplish and establishing measurable objectives and timeframes to help you achieve it. Goal setting can help you in any area of your life, from achieving financial freedom to adopting a healthy diet. When you learn how to set goals in one area of your life, it becomes easier to set them in other areas.
Setting progressive goals that allow small wins helps you move on to larger achievements. These small goals lead to progress, which is the only thing you really need to feel fulfilled and happy.
Why is goal setting important?
Goal setting is vital because it helps you decide and focus on what’s really important to you. Effective goal setting also lets you measure progress, overcome procrastination and visualize your dreams. If you don’t know what you want to accomplish, you can’t create a plan to get there. Setting goals is the vehicle that will drive you to your desired destination.
Goal setting also keeps you accountable. Whether you’re learning how to set goals at work or in your personal life, telling others about your goals makes you more likely to establish the patterns that will accomplish them.
Here we’ll cover how to set goals to ensure you achieve them. You’ll learn what makes a compelling goal as well as the steps you need to take to see them through.
Why have goals anyway?
Effective goal setting is the fundamental key to success. Whether it’s increasing your intelligence, taking up a new hobby or rekindling a relationship, setting goals lets us create our future. It also helps us grow and expand, pushing ourselves to transform in ways that we never imagined. In order to feel truly fulfilled, we need to know and feel like we’re working to achieve something. Tony Robbins says, “Progress equals happiness,” and setting goals is what gets us there.
How to set goals
What is goal setting to you? When you set goals, are you used to seeing them disappear in the rearview mirror? We’re willing to bet if you’re reading this page, you’ve set a goal or two in your life. But did you see them through?
You’re much more likely to put time and energy into something that excites you, so your goals must reflect that same level of momentum. Think of a goal as a dream with a deadline. Now all we have to do is create a blueprint to achievement.
Click here to start your very own goal-setting workshop. Grab some paper and a pen and start working on actionable goals with these three goal-setting tips.
Goal setting tips
1. Perform a brainstorming session. Give yourself six minutes to brainstorm a list of anything you’d like to achieve, create, do, have, give and/or experience in the next 20 years. Write as many things down as fast as you can in this time.
2. Refine your goals. Setting deadlines is crucial to the goal-setting process. Go back through your list and write one, three, five, 10 or 20 years next to each goal to indicate how long it will take to achieve them.
3. Review your list. Go over what you’ve written. Choose your top four one-year goals. These are goals that truly excite you. Write a paragraph for each goal explaining why you will absolutely achieve this goal within the next 12 months.
4. Evaluate your goals. Are your goals specific? Measurable? Achievable? Realistic? Do they have a specific timeframe? These are the components of a SMART goal. You set SMART goals with purpose and intention, making them more concrete and easier to achieve.
How to achieve your goals
Learning how to set goals is worthless if you don’t learn how to achieve goals. Set yourself up for success by following these tips.
1. Visualize accomplishing your goals. Visualization is a powerful activity. When you visualize your goals on a daily basis as if you’ve already achieved them, you align your purpose and values with your actions.
2. Share your goals. Find a friend, family member or another person you trust and share your list of goals with them. You can also share the list with a mentor or life coach. Sharing your list will make you more accountable and give you a partner who will work with you through frustrations or roadblocks. The right partner can help you transform obstacles into opportunities and stay on track.
3. Keep your goals visible. Where focus goes, energy flows, so it’s critical to focus on your goals. Tape them on the mirror in your bathroom or pin them to the wall next to your computer. If your goals involve adopting a healthy diet and losing weight, put them on the front of your refrigerator or a kitchen cabinet.
4. Regularly review your goals. Have a set schedule to review both short- and long-term goals. This helps you track progress as well as determine what activities are helping you and which are hindering you. It’s important to know when alterations to your course are necessary: Stay flexible and make changes where necessary.
Why is goal setting important? Imagine yourself older and looking back. What’s the pain from not achieving, and what is the pleasure from having achieved your goals? Effective goal setting helps you stay focused, keeps you accountable and is the single most important aspect of reaching your dreams.